XIPAR vs ACID

Discussions about this interesting Xelatec product
KD5DFB

XIPAR vs ACID

Postby KD5DFB » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:29 am

All,

After installing and learning my way around ACID. I was wondering what is the difference between ACID and XIPAR?

Thanks,

Mike KD5DFB

kb3ors

Re: XIPAR vs ACID

Postby kb3ors » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:33 pm

That is a very loaded question. The asterisk software works the same in both as far as making connections. Acid is built on CENTOS. Xipar is Fedora. File naming is slightly different. Acid supports web tranceiver connections. Xipar not. They both have the echolink channel driver. Xipar has telemetry ducking while someone is transmitting. Acid does not. Xipar has audio filters to enhance the highs and lows. Acid does not. Acid allows configurations to be downloaded from allstarlink.org. Xipar does not.

The difference is would you like bells with your distro. Or would you like whistles?

Brian KB3ORS
KB3ORS - Brian

N7JCT

Re: XIPAR vs ACID

Postby N7JCT » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:07 am

It seems odd to me that these two distributions are so different. Why they are tied to CENTOS is odd to me. I'm used to being able to install such things as Asterisk on any platform (CENTOS, Fedora, RedHat, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, etc) or even downloading from a common source code repository and compiling. My experience so far with this has been that we are very much tied to these two distributions and those don't offer much choice in features.

As an example, XIPAR seems to insist that FreePBX be installed. I tried to uninstall it and...that didn't end well. Things like FreePBX are usually optional software installed (or not) from the yum or apt-get menu. The AllStarLink stuff seems to be mostly scripts and they could be added or removed during the installation process, or by another script or, again, from the yum or apt-get menu. It would be wonderful to give the end user the ability to select which features they want from a menu, things like the additional audio processing of XIPAR or the web transceiver capability of ACID.

Maybe what I suggest here isn't possible. I'm not a programmer. But I am a very long time Linux user, so that's where my perspective comes from.

Return to “XIPAR Distribution”